Thursday, October 9, 2014

Welcome to Taemmaril

Welcome to my blog about the world of Taemmaril and my experiences with roleplaying. The blog has a couple of purposes - first of all, it is a way for me, as a DM, to share information about my campaign with my players, but it is also intended to be a blog about my return to roleplaying games, that others might find interesting. I will probably write a bit about my RPG history at a later point, but for now the short version is, that I have decided to get back into the game after a long break and the main reason for my return to the hobby, is the release of the new edition of Dungeons and Dragons (5E, 5th, whatever it is called).

After reading the basic rules (available from Wizards of the Coast as free PDFs here), I was hooked on the simplicity they have managed to infuse into the rules in this edition. I don't mind complexity (I had no problems with calculating THAC0 back in 2nd edition), but on the other hand, I do mind it when it gets in the way of having fun. The behemoths which D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder have become, really doesn't appeal to me.

Luckily I know a bunch of guys who have a regular gaming group (they usually play their own version of 3.5), who were more than willing to let me try out 5e on them, so last night we got together and created some characters. The plan is to have our first D&D 5e session in a fortnight and then we will see where it goes from there.

As for the World of Taemmaril, it is a campaign world of my own design. I did contemplate using one of the many published settings out there, but none of them really fits my vision of what I want, so I decided to create one myself. It might not be that different from Forgotten Realms or Golarion (and will probably borrow bits and pieces from them and others), but it gives me a lot more freedom to do what I want. One example is my intense hatred for gnomes (something I might explain at a later date), which means that the race is nowhere to be found on Taemmaril. For now I am using the Forgotten Realms pantheon (which my players are already familiar with from their own campaign), but I will probably get around to make my own deities as well, although it isn't a priority at the moment.

By the way, English is my second language (a big part of which I've learned through RPGs), so I might use some weird expressions here and there and there might also be a grammatical error or two, but I hope it won't detract too much from what I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment